Friday, June 6, 2008

rider's meeting

After Don collected all the crew members at the airport (except for Chris and David), we rode out to our motel.  After checking in, we stopped at an In-N-Out Burger place.  I've heard about In-N-Out from people who love them and insisted we stop there for a late lunch before attending the mandatory riders' meeting.  It was good food at an inexpensive price.

Ed and Garrett dropped off the van.  I was glad to see it arrive in good condition and I'm thankful they provided us with invaluable assistance.  Tomorrow they fly back to Nashville.

Our rider's meeting was pretty low key.  There was some embarrassment since we forgot to bring our postcard (which was a test to ensure we'd read through all the RAAM rules).  The meeting covered some of the route where we can expect to see new road construction.  Also some discussion about the most common rider/crew infractions that can result in a time penalty.

Afterwards we went back to the motel and put up all the mandatory signage on the three vehicles.  Quite a job, even with ten people working on it.  We didn't finish until after dark.  Everybody's in a good mood.  We're all excited about the race to come.

--
Jeff Bauer
I want some JUNK food. Then I want to be ALONE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not even in the race, and I'm very excited about it. It makes me want to do it. All of your fellow fixie cyclists at the Birmingham Bike Company will be tracking your progress and cheering you on. We're very excited for you!

Tomorrow in honor of the start of RAAM, I plan to go put in about 200miles on my fixie decked out in my Gran Fondo Jersey. Since I can't be there in person to support you, I can in spirit.

Have a safe journey across the country.